Thursday 3 July 2008

Evernote - keeping your notes in the cloud


Recently I've started using Evernote as the main repository for my notes. As it's browser based Evernote can be accessed from any PC or mobile phone that has a browser. There's also a Windows desktop client that syncs with your notes in the cloud for offline use. You can assign tags to your notes to make them easily searchable in the future via a simple drag & drop process. Evernote also gives you a unique email address you can email notes or forward emails to. This is great for quickly dumping stuff into Evernote from anywhere.

Evernote's developers describe it:
Evernote allows you to easily capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at anytime, from anywhere.

What do I use Evernote for:
  • Odd notes
  • Ideas for blogging about
  • Web clippings
  • Snippets of imformation
  • Notes I regularly refer to
  • Photos of stuff I've seen that I might want to refer to later
  • Forwarding emails I want to refer to again
The list is endless ....

The great news is that Evernote is now out of private beta and available to everyone. The standard version is free or you can pay a small monthly charge for a bigger upload limit. So far I've found the free version more than adequate.

Probably the best way to get a feel for Evernote is to look at the video.

Blog Archive