Tuesday 18 January 2011

One of my favourite mobile apps ...

Posted yesterday on the giffgaff blog.


Things - top task manager
This month I've decided to share my thoughts about one of my favourite mobile apps. If you have an iPhone your handset is probably crammed with apps by now, both free and paid for ones. Their usage likely varies from never to often but a few reach that exalted 'couldn't live without it' status. For me one of those apps is Things from Cultured Code. Most people can benefit from being better organised and if you're a mobile user, being able to access your outstanding tasks from anywhere is very handy. Things is a task manager, 'to do' or 'getting things done' app and comes in versions for the iPhone, iPad and Mac. Being able to use Things on several devices is key to its importance to me. I store all my personal and business tasks in Things to remind me what I need to do each day and give me a view on 'things' I need to do in the future.


Individual tasks can have a date associated with them or be flagged as 'next' or the vaguer 'someday'. A key feature for me is being able to link tasks to Projects. I've created Projects for all the activities I'm working on and I can very easily review where I am with the tasks associated with any Project. I also use Projects for personal activities so I have a Blogging project where I make a note of anything I might want to blog about. There is even an Inbox to add tasks to when you haven't decided what Project or date to associate them with. All completed tasks are logged with the date of completion so you have a permanent record of activities completed.


Things syncs across all your devices using WiFi. Cloud syncing is coming but Cultured Code has delayed this function to spend more time looking at how it can deliver the optimal experience to users. If you're interested in delving into the challenges of cloud sync have a look at the Cultured Code blog. Things isn't a cheap app, at £44.95 for the Mac version, £11.99 for the iPad and £5.99 for the iPhone; however it's worth every penny. I've tried different apps in the past for task management and Things is easily the best I've found. When cloud syncing arrives it will be unbeatable. I've got lots of great apps on my devices but Things fills a vital slot for me.


You can follow both @culturedcode and @sevendotzero on Twitter.

Blog Archive