Tuesday 13 March 2007

Using your own domain name

Buying your own domain name is a great way to take control of your email. It allows you to personalise your email address (and website if you have one), change broadband provider without changing your email address and manage your emails to minimise the problems of spam.

Whenever I sign up for or purchase something online, I use a unique email address for that particular merchant or organisation . This way I can track what happens to my email address; find out if the company has passed it on for example. If it gets spammed I can block the email address simply and quickly.

It's important to source your domain name from a provider that lets you manage multiple email accounts online.

And the cost? £2.59 + VAT per year from 123-reg. The combination of functionality for managing email addresses for all the family plus competitive prices is excellent.

Blog Archive