I recently needed to access my corporate email on my Nokia E72 and added the Exchange account using the pre-installed Mail for Exchange client. As expected, the handset asked me to set an autolock code to comply with the Exchange server security policy. Very simple process end-to-end and the handset immediately synced my email and calendar.
The next day, when I no longer needed Exchange email access I deleted the mailbox (as per Nokia's instructions). However despite removing the Exchange account, I could not remove the enforced autolock which cut in after 20 minutes. The menu option to change the timeout or remove the autolock was disabled. Searching online I discovered that Nokia's advice is a hard reset to remove a security policy that is no longer required - not helpful Nokia!
Eventually I came across a suggestion that because the handset can only cope with one Exchange security policy, if I installed another Exchange account with a security policy that did not enforce a security lock, the lock would be disabled. Further research came up with the suggestion to set up an account with Zeld.cn. I duly did, synced the handset and the lock disappeared! Unbelievable hassle to remove a security policy that was redundant. Very poor user experience from Nokia.
And by the way, the website is in Chinese! Where would we be without Google Translate!
Thursday, 15 July 2010
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (16)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ▼ July (7)
- ► 2009 (50)
- ► 2008 (146)